Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Throw it out!

By Heather Polyi, Owner/Key Artist Glam Spot NJ

Admit it:
You know you still have a stick of MAC's Pink Freeze from 10 years ago (yes, the one Lindsay Lohan wore in Mean Girls)...  I know, you Only use it for special occasions.
STOP!


We all hang on to makeup long past it's expiration. 
I get it....
It's expensive, and they always discontinue our favorite shades!

After my most recent allergic reaction to an old lip gloss (blisters all around my lips) I am now taking a vow to start fresh for my face's sake.
I constantly buy new products for my kit, and my clients...
But myself... 
I still had Prescriptives Lip laquer in VOODOO...

No MORE!!!!

Follow this timeline to see if you should keep or ditch your everyday products. Your skin will thank you!

Let's start with the product that kicked off this discussion...
Lipstick and gloss!

24 MONTHS!!!!!  That's right, not 24 YEARS!  That smell, is the lipstick/gloss going bad.
The taste, is usually "OFF" 
If it was limited edition and very cool to look at, put it on display! 
Just don't Put it on!

Mascara:
3 months! 
This is THE MOST ABUSED PRODUCT! 
Buy cheaper mascara if you don't like to replenish a $22.00 tube that frequently!
Throw it out!  The eye infection from the bacteria the tube holds is UGLY and hard to get rid of!
I love Voluminous for this reason. 
 I buy them when they go, "buy one get the second for 50% off" and then store one for when it's time to say good bye...

Eyeshadows and blush...
These can last longer depending on weather or not you put your fingers in them, use dirty brushes on them and how you store them...
If you use your fingers 9mos. to a year
dirty brushes...  5-6 months
clean brushes, and always closed 12-18 months

I WAS A HUGE OFFENDER...  I FOUND TRISH McEVOY SHADOWS FROM WHEN THEY WERE LARGE ROUND PANS!!!!   

WOW!

Foundation:
Truthfully once you open a foundation after 6 months it starts to "turn"
Don't keep the same one for a year...
The color oxidizes, and besides your skin changes within that time anyway!
DON'T DO IT!

Powder:
Pressed and loose 12-18 months (Use clean brushes, and don't ever use the powder puff in a pressed powder...  You will just be pressing bacteria into your skin!
Liners:
Liquid liners, same rule as mascara!
Pencil liners...  Keep them sharpened and closed and they can last up to 2 years (if they melt from heat exposure, the wax separates...  Throw them out!

Skincare: 
Follow the bottle...  you never know how long it has already been on a shelf, in addition there are so many organic products now that have short life spans, don't ignore this date!

Rule of thumb though...
If there is an SPF in it, throw it out after 10 months..
Keep your SPF FRESH!

So the Moral to the story is...

Woops wrong pic... (lol)
I meant,
Freak Out
and...

"Throw Stuff Out"

Your face will thank me!
With Love and Glamour

No comments:

Post a Comment